Pages

Wednesday 9 May 2012

Comparing contribution on charts....2

Continuing from the situation presented in the Post of the same title on 26th April, the question asked was:

"if I want to know is how the composition of my portfolio has changed over the priod tracked, i.e. if I had allocated a certain percentge of my investments to each of the three shares on 1st January, 2011, based on my risk perception and judgment, do the values of the three shares held reflect an altered situaion on 1st January, 2012?"
A Stacked Bar Graph was presented as an option and a question asked :

"Is there a better way of showing this movement?"
In an effort to answer that question, we present the same data in the form of another graph; this time a Pie Chart.

The position on 1st January, 2011:


The position on1st December, 2011:


A quick glance at the two charts above is adequate to make out (at least to me) that proportion of holdings in Unitech has reduced and that in Tata Motors has increased in this 11-month period, ITC remaining relatively unchanged. Or, looked at another way, Tata Motors now contributes more to my assets in December 2011 than it did in January 2011, and Unitech lower, despite me not having made any transactions during this period.

So, as a decision trigger, if I still need to allocate my funds in the same proportion as on 1st January, 2011, I may need to buy some Unitech and sell some Tata Motors shares.

Hence, to me this look like a better way of presenting this data.

Do you agree?

No comments:

Post a Comment